I’ve landed back on earth post winning the National Molly Keane Award for Creative Writing. And I realised that I need to get more ships out there. Spent this week launching said vessels. Oh please come back to Mama laden with kudos and baying agents and publishers…
1) Applied for a funded PhD at Newcastle University.
2) Submitted ‘Snailsock’ to an up and coming literary magazine.
3) Applied for a Creative Writing Teaching gig in Liverpool
4) Invited the author of ‘The Boy in the Striped Pajamas’ to talk to the inmates in my prison class.
5) Asked Stephen Fry to write them a letter of encouragement (he’s a former inmate of the prison, who knew?)
6) Sent ‘The Pretender’ to the Writers’ Bureau competition.
7) Sent ‘Ha Ha’ to the Meridian competition.
8 ) Sent ‘Snailwoman’ to the Light Ship First Chapter Competition.
9) Submitted ‘Name in a Cave’ to People’s Friend
10) Submitted ‘Twin Trees’ to Doris Gooderson Competition.
11) Submitted an application for funding to the Irish Arts Council.
I like the number 12. Twelve months of the year, twelve steps, twelve apostles, twelve labours of Hercules, the twelve dancing princesses etc… So I shall send another ship out today to round off the grand total of ships. Then it is back to the book….